Friday, April 08, 2016

SEBRING - HOW SWEET THE MEMORIES

Sebring is but a memory now.  My mom and I had 5 glorious days in Sebring last weekend.  Perfect weather, easy traveling, room with a balcony and a good class with Vivily Powers.  What more could one want except maybe to come home with a finished rug HA !  what a joke that is but I did come home with another new project started and 2 small Searsport canvas purchases from the camp store.

Let's get started on our trip !

I found the lovely Erika's Tea Room in Clermont for our first stop.  It was a wonderful place owned by Erika and her mom.  Grandma worked there too and what a great staff.  She had so many lovely tea pots, tea cups, 80 different teas and all kinds of tea accoutrements. Yes we did make a purchase, I'll show you next time.  Gosh I look like I just rolled out of the bed here but I promise I drove 3 hours to get here and my eyes were open.

My dear mom having some tea.  I liked the fact that they gave you nice large teapots with cozies to keep it toasty warm.

Yes this was the view from our balcony, gorgeous isn't it !  I could have spent the entire time on the balcony but alas we sure didn't have time to spend enjoying this view.

I'm going right into the rug exhibit.  I didn't get photos of every single rug so I apologize if your rug was left out.  Some of the photos did not come out well.  This was a neat rug done by an 80 something year old woman in our class.

The director asked for WIP's to be displayed as well.  This was a neat Mola rug done by Sue Giroud who happened to be our lovely tablemate for 4 days.  It was so nice getting to know Sue who lives in Vermont and winters in the area.

Another simply exquisite rug of Sue's - I found it amazing that Sue does most of her own dyeing.  I was so intrigued by this awesome background.  She said it was one of Nancy Bloods formulas.  This was one of my favorite rugs in the show.

I'm sorry but I don't know whose rug this was.  I think maybe it was a Deanne Fitzpatrick rug.

Teacher Carol Feeney had several pieces in the exhibit.  This was a very interesting rug of her design.

Carol has many awesome rug designs and you can see them on her at
http://www.rugsbycarol.com/  She specializes in incorporating other fibers and embellishments.
 

This pillow was awesome - another by Carol.

Another Carol did this pillow.  She was working this piece several years ago in a class we were all in.

Here is another WIP with an interesting story.  This was started by this womans mother.  She ran out of wool on the turquoise, the navy blue and then didn't even have some of the gold needed.  This is Kashan - an old rug by Ruth Hall, an old designer I didn't know but my teacher and others did.  I loved this pattern - so awesome - I'm thinking about adding it to my stash.  I've been wanting to do an oriental.  Also interesting to note it's hooked on burlap and the burlap keeps breaking and tearing and this poor woman has patched and hooked thru the patched spots.  I can certainly understand why she preservers on it.  It's gorgeous !

This is also her rug.  The William Morris bunny but I don't know who canvas it is.  Vivily Powers color planned.

This is my mom's rug.  WOW - didn't it photograph great.  This was the very first rug she ever did at Sebring.  It was with Vivily, what great colors and my mom is a super hooker.  Lovely job Mom !

I don't remember anything about this rug but it's awesome too as they all are.

Here is my angel runner.  It has never been shown in Sebring so I thought I'd bring it down.
This is a Bea Brock pattern and was color planned by Diane Stoffel.  It is one of my favorite rugs.
No I haven't not decided how to hang it over my bed.  I have ideas but they have not come to fruition as yet.
 
Last but not least is my Antique Blue Basket by Edyth O'Neill.  I must say I never tire of looking at this rug and many people commented on it at the exhibit.  I am quite proud of these two finishes.  Probably because my finishes are few and far between.  This rug is bigger than it looks - about 3.5' x 3'.
 
I will have another post coming up next week showing what the WIPs from our class with Vivily Powers. 
 
I hope everyone has a great weekend , having fun doing what they love to do.  Thanks for visiting and commenting on my blog.  It means so much to me.
 


8 comments:

Rugs and Pugs said...

Thanks for the rug show but your two are my favorites!!!! The angel rug is spectacular.
Hugs :)
Lauren

queenstownsamplerdesigns said...

Gorgeous. Gorgeous rugs. Must agree with Rugs and Pugs - ♥ ♥ ♥ your angel rug!

Chocolates4Breakfast (Terri Malinovich) said...

What a fun trip! Great pic of you and your mom! What an awesome collection of rugs but your angel rug is stunning! I love everything about it. Your basket rug and your mom's rug are both beautiful. So glad you had another fun and successful trip!

Jackie's Stitches said...

It sounds like a wonderful trip! I love your mom's finish - great job Jane! I love your finishes as well. They were even more gorgeous seen in person.

Samplings from Spring Creek said...

Great trip and beautiful rugs--Edyth O'Neill rugs are some of my favorites--yours is beautiful

The Inspired Stitcher said...

Wow, such beautiful pieces. Looks like you had fun.

Cari said...

Beautiful ... And I mean you and your Mom !! Rugs are lovely !! If we lived closer to each other we'd be broke for sure shopping for all these beauties!! Hugs !!

Margaret said...

What a treat to see all the eye candy from your rug hooking retreat! Your two rugs take the cake, I must say. That angel one will always be my favorite, I think. Although that A&E one you have might be another. lol! Thanks for sharing! I'm glad you and your mom had a good time! We were out of town last week, so I'm just now catching up.