Friday, April 02, 2010

EASTER JOY

Happy Good Friday to everyone !

I have a few Easter related photos to show you.

Last weekend I realized that I should have been working on the darling design that Paulette from Plum Street Samplers did last year as a freebie.  Easter Blessings - I have seen a few of them stitched on linen and they are sooooooo cute - however I thought this would be perfect for a small rug so I asked my DF Katie to draw it off for me on rug linen.  Of course I asked Paulette first and she thought it was a great idea.  Most rugs have a border - I thought this rug needed a border to bring up the size a little bit and Katie and I brainstormed on a border.  I did not show the border but it has carrots all around and Easter Blessings at the bottom.  Isn't it darling??  The chocolate bunny boy looks a little ardvarky with his "too pointed" nose - I'll have to fix that next time I work on it.  I had hoped to finish the yellow daisies but I did not have time to hook any this week.  Katie is dyeing a light easter egg dye backround for this and I will probably use a spot dyed green/brown for the border backround which will show the carrots off nicely.  I was determined to pull all my wool from stash for this piece.  We'll see what Katie's backround creation looks like - hope it's what I envisioned - other than that small purchase - I think I can manage the rest from stash!  WHOOOOOOHOOOOOOO!

DF and stitcher extraordinare Henrietta also does beautiful paper crafting - her creations never cease to amaze me.  She always remembers her dear friends birthdays and holidays with her wonderful paper crafting.  Here is the oh so darling Easter card.  thanks Henri for always remembering!
Next up is Harriett on her tuffett - I showed you this lovely little primitive bunny in a previous post but she is nestled in a Longaberger easter basket along with plenty of carrots and some pretty eggs.
This very special lady was made by Jody's grandmother and mother.  They sewed many of these bunnies in the early 90's - If I recall correctly - Jody's mom made the bodies and did the embroidery on the faces and Jody's grandmother who was already in her 80's at the time made all the clothes. She passed away 11 years ago at the age of 92 and we miss her so much.  Sadly Jody's mom is now in a nursing home and has the dreaded Alzheimer's so she is slipping away every day.
 I have not used her for many years but she looks so cute on my couch and she is holding the Easter Joy bag by Shepherds Bush. I think she looks very happy there and who wouldn;t be glad to be "out of the bag"!

I wanted to share with you some more sad news in our world - our wonderful "Olde Green Cupboard" is closing.  How sad is that.  The news came a couple of weeks ago and it was sure a shock.  How awful that another great shop has been so affected by the economic woes of these past two very difficult years.  It was a wonderful respite for all who frequented there.  The retreats, classes, communing with like minded needleworkers - They are clearing out all their inventory at 50% off - I have already spent a bundle there - I'll show you in a future post the wonderful cabinet I got there for my wool room.

I'll end this post with a couple of photos of the beautiful Azaleas in my yard.  We had a very rough winter here in NE FL but the flowering trees seem to be ever so lovely this year. 
I wish for each of you Easter Joy - It is a time for renewal, for spending time with family and enjoying a bit of chocolate and hopefully some time with your needle.  Easter Blessings to you all !

12 comments:

Margaret said...

What a wonderful Easter post! I love your rug of Paulette's bunnies! I can't wait to see more of it and to see the border you created for it! I'm sorry to hear about Jody's mother -- DH's grandfather had Parkinson's and it was so hard to watch him slip away. And the Olde Green Cupboard! Sad indeed! We lost our local Quilt shop a couple of years ago and I miss it dreadfully! I enjoyed all the Easter pictures. Have a wonderful Easter with your family!

Jean in Georgia said...

Wishing you a Happy Easter. He is Risen indeed!

Laurie in Iowa said...

Love the Easter Blessings rug... wonderful use of Paulette's design. That's so sad that the Olde Green Cupboard is closing. I always wished I could have gone there after reading so many of your wonderful posts about the shop.
Easter Blessings.

Nancy said...

Easter Blessings looks beautiful hooked! I can't wait to see the carrot border. I stitched this last year and made a little pillow, and I love it! Of course I love all of Paulette's Hare designs.

I'm sorry to hear your shop is closing. There is nothing like a nice shop to get lost in sometimes.

Beautiful scenic photos. Happy Easter Melody!

beeinstitches said...

Hope you have a wonderful Easter! Love the new rug - too cute and perfect for the season. It's BEYOND sad about the OGC, but I'm counting on seeing THE SISTERS at more hooking events - no excuses for them now! So glad to see that your beautiful yard survived the cold of winter.

Jan said...

Sorry to hear about the shop closing, Mel! It is liking saying goodbye to a lifelong friend, and we never forget the wonderful visits there. Also love your rug of Paulette's Easter Blessings, it is perfect!!

Happy Easter, Dearest Mel!

Jackie's Stitches said...

What a cute new rug project! I'm looking forward to seeing the background and looking forward to a carrot border even more.

The bunny that Jody's mom and grandmother made is precious. What a treasure!

Happy Easter to you and your family!

Karoline said...

Happy Easter, I love what you are doing with Paulette's design.

Sorry to hear that Olde Green Cupboard is closing.

Deb said...

I love what you're doing to Paulette's bunnies. How cool is that going to be! I can't wait to see further along with the background and borders. It's going to be so darling!

And that's sad about the Olde Green Cupboard - so many shops are going out of business. We've lost quite a few of my favorite places over the past couple years.

And sending to thoughts to Jody and his mother. I know that's difficult - I have a friend whose father just recently passed away from complications from Parkinson's.

I hope that you have a wonderful Easter!

Cari said...

What a wonderful Easter post Melody! Thank you so very much. I love your rug rendition of Paulette's design. It is just so much fun. You are very talented. I'm so sad to hear that the Olde Green Cupboard is closing. Dang...it's tough isn't it? They will be missed. Have a wonderful Easter Sunday.. HUGS

Rugs and Pugs said...

Mel ~
Great post!
Happy Easter!
Pug hugs :)
Lauren

Siobhán said...

Okay, seriously, that is the CUTEST rug!!! Oh my gosh, Melody, wow. I love it. I keep fantasizing about doing all the hares but so far haven't stitched any. I love your other rabbits, too. I'm so sorry to hear about the Olde Green Cupboard! I hope you had a wonderful Easter.