Friday, November 21, 2014

ANOTHER BIG FINISH !!!!!!!

I honestly thought this day would never come.  The day that I would finish my Antique Blue Basket rug.

I started this rug in a previous decade - yes I admit - it was over 10 years ago that I started this rug.

The rug looks small but it is actually 3ft X 5ft  the color plan is by Joan Reckwerdt and the design is a copy of an old antique rug by Edyth O'Neill.

As the years have rolled by - there are things I see now that I would do differently but a project that lasts this long and spans the years and journey of a rug hooker is just that - a journey and a learning experience.

I have had the center motifs finished for years but got bogged down on the interior backround which was a story in itself. 

I didn't care for the very light backround that Joanie dyed for this rug and a friend who I have lost touch with suggested we tea dye the wool Joanie gave me - OK sounds great so she took the 3 yards of wool home with her.  Well - sadly - her husband had been very sick with cancer and ended up passing away - it took months to get the wool back from her and then I never saw or heard from her again.  About 1/2 way thru the backround - at about year 5 or 7 - it became apparent that I did not have enough wool to finish the rug - EGADS - so my friend and master dyer Katie Puckett tried to duplicate the color - how hard could it be ???  well she tried every tea on the market - used about 5 or more yards of wool and never did get even close to the color I needed.  SO  . . . . . . .

The rug was put away for years.  Somewhere in there I had a major move from my lifelong home to another home and I uncovered some beautiful wool that Katie's mom dyed for a rug that never materialized.  I could use that for the border backround so I had renewed interest in the rug and set about working on finishing the interior backround.  Then I moved on to the border motifs and finally - slowly - very slowly - I worked on the backround border.
 
My mom loves this rug - she is a rug hooker too.  She always refers to it as "her rug" - so now that it is done - it can officially be "her rug" - Hope you get many years of enjoyment out of the Blue Basket Antique Mom !
 
What in the world will be my next focus rug to complete.  OH dear OH dear . . . .  Will it be the bed rug or the Adam & Eve or maybe another wonderful Edyth O'Neill canvas - Oliver Cromwell.  Poor Oliver hasn't seen the light of day in a decade either.  I work on many rugs - I like to work on fall things in the fall - Christmas themes in Nov and Dec., patriotic rugs in the summertime.  I am working on my Santa and Ewe now and it is a little more than 1/2 finished - I will show a photo soon I promise.  My "focus" rug is usually a rug I keep out on my big Townsend frame in my wool room and leave out all the time to work on .  It only gets little snippets of attention - just a few strips of wool hooked in here and there.
 
Thanks for all your encouragement and comments on my angel runner - for me to finish two big rugs within a months time is nothing short of simply amazing.  On to the next  . . . . . .
 
I hope all my friends in blogland that are in the US will have a wonderful Thanksgiving holiday, be sure and take time to pick up a needle or two during a quiet moment. Pull a few loops on your rugs  - -   Relish all our many blessings.  Sending you wooley thoughts !

28 comments:

Cari said...

Oh Mel…your rug is beautiful !! I love the colors and now your Mom will love 'her' rug too !! Have a wonderful Thanksgiving. Hugs

Samplings from Spring Creek said...

What a rug, what a story!!! The rug is beautiful and its making you will always remember.

I love Oliver Cromwell but do not have the courage to start.

Rugs and Pugs said...

What a great story and a lovely finish. I'm sure your mom will proudly display it.
Happy Thanksgiving :)
Lauren

Margaret said...

Wow! Now that is a spectacular finish! 3' x 5' is huge!! And it's so so beautiful! I'm so glad the background worked out in the end. I really like how the interior background and the outer background are different colors -- it works so well! Congratulations! You should be so proud! And your mom is very happy, I bet!

Jackie's Stitches said...

Congrats on your gorgeous BIG finish! The background looks great - would never know it was two different dyers.

How about that wonderful footstool Katie designed?

krayolakris said...

Wow!!! You have outdone yourself this year!! Congratulations, again, on a fabulous finish! What a journey you & this rug have been on!

Nancy said...

A beautiful finish Mel! Everything worked out with the wool you found!

Anne said...

Oh wow Mel! The rug is amazing! So much work went into it and such an heirloom! Where will you put it?!

Gayle said...

What a sense of accomplishment you must feel after finishing this large rug after such a long process. It turned out beautifully - thanks for sharing it with us!

beeinstitches said...

Congrats on ANOTHER finish!!! It's gorgeous. Hope to see it in person soon.

The Inspired Stitcher said...

Congrats on a beautiful finish! It is certainly an accomplishment. Very nice!

Mary said...

Congrats on your big finale Mel! The story is as wonderful as the rug is.

henri said...

Congrats on a beautiful finish!!!

Faye said...

Mel!!!! This is absolutely stunning!!!! I enjoyed the story and journey you shared also~

Bethany said...

Melody, Another wonderful finish and like your mother, I love this rug. I think mother "JoAnn" would love this rug as well. This comes after the Thanksgiving holiday, so I will wish you and yours a wonderful Christmas holiday. See you after the New Year......

Karoline said...

Stunning finish Mel, congratulations. I'm nor surprised your Mum bagged it

Nancy said...

Visiting from SewandSow Farms!

Donna said...

oh it is beautiful, congratulations on the finish :)

geeky Heather said...

CONGRATULATIONS!!! Beautiful major finish! I hope it was a challenge piece. =)

Karen said...

A beautiful finish.

thanida said...

Wonderful list I will share this for sure and book mark it for future references,Thanks and keep up the great work.A very informative list,dafabet

supersonic100g9 said...

รถยนต์ของพวกเราเป็นรถยนต์อายุ 3-5 ปี ซึ่งมีการทำนุบำรุงโดยตลอด รวมถึงพวกเรายังมีศูนย์บริการรถยนต์ในเครือข่ายมากยิ่งกว่า 1,000 ที่ ที่ลูกค้าสามารถเข้ารับบริการ ฟรี เมื่อมีเรื่องด่วน เกี่ยวกับรถยนต์
เช่ารถ
เช่ารถกรุงเทพ
เช่ารถราคาถูก
เช่ารถรายเดือน
เช่ารถขับเอง

Unknown said...

สมัคร จีคลับ
สมัคร บาคาร่า
สมัคร gclub

murakami said...

Thanks for sharing this with! Keep up the great work!
joker123

nira said...

 i am sure these will help me profoundly.I will keep these in mind.
bk8

nira said...

Really Thanks Boss It amazing Info For me
sagame66
sagame77
sagame88

Unknown said...

เล่นคาสิโนออนไลน์ ได้เงินจริง ค้ำประกัน 100%
เกมพนัน คาสิโนออนไลน์ ที่ได้ประสิทธิภาพแล้วก็มาตรฐานเดียวกันกับเกมพนันในคาสิโน ก็เลยทำให้นักเสี่ยงโชคต่างๆนั้นรู้สึกเชื่อมั่นสำหรับเพื่อการพนันผ่านระบบออนไลน์กันเพิ่มขึ้นเรื่อยๆนั่นเอง
ufabet
แทงบอลออนไลน์
คาสิโนออนไลน์
สล็อตออนไลน์
บาคาร่า

max100 said...

ล่นเกมสล็อตคาสิโนออนไลน์ ดูพิเศษที่จะได้เล่นกับเว็บตรงจริงๆ สล็อตออนไลน์เป็นอะไรที่ได้รับความนิยมเป็นอย่างมากนตอนนี้และอย่างที่สุดด้วยทำให้มีหลายคนหลาย
สล็อตเว็บตรง
สล็อตเว็บตรง
สล็อตเว็บตรง
เว็บสล็อต
เว็บสล็อต
เว็บสล็อต