Monday, December 14, 2009

RUG GUILD CHRISTMAS LUNCHEON

I'm such a slacker - when yesterday finally got here - I was so exhausted I did not even take one single photo at the luncheon.  I know I promised you a full report but instead I am going to piggyback and send you off to look at DF Jackie's report of the luncheon.  She was a guest of our rug hooking group - she is a wanna be hooker and we are in a couple of other needlework related groups together.  I met her at the LYS when she was a newby knitter and now she is stitching, quilting, knitting and we hope will one day "get hooked".  She has some neat photos you will enjoy seeing including a shot of my mom's queen anne footstool cover she is hooking.

The only photo I have to share today is of the favors I put together for the members of our rug guild.  They are rolls of red and green plaid wool.  I got this lovely wool from another DF Karen - She has a wonderful stash of wool in her studio and she dyed the green plaid for me using another friend and teacher Jean Tynan's formula - I thought it turned out great and what rug hooker can't use more wool !  In the middle of this basket are those little bags of stitch markers that I ordered off Etsy for the 3 guests who all knit but don't hook.


I have to announce that I finished my pomegranate runner on Saturday.  I did not have the time to take photos right now so I'll do that in the next post.  Maybe I'll also have a photo of how I decide to finish the BBD Noel piece I showed in the previous post.

Still not doing much stitching at all - I am doing a lot of knitting - I decided to start a scarf for Jody for Christmas - ha ha - we'll see if I can get it done in 10 days - probably not since it is 74" long but he will enjoy watching it grow - over the years Jody has become slightly more interested in what I am doing - the other night - I caught him rubbing that skein of alpaca all over his face and neck and when  he saw me watching him - he said " oh I was just checking the softness of the fiber"  how's that for osmosis!  Next post I'll try and get a photo of the lovely Berroco Cuzco yarn I'm using for his scarf. 

Thanks for all your comments and Laurie thanks for getting Emma and Owen to explain to me how it is to be "snow dogs" - that was so cute!  Enjoy the season and don't forget the "reason"

9 comments:

Margaret said...

What nice presents for everyone you brought! I'm glad you all had a good time. I can't wait to see your pomegranate rug! I bet it's gorgeous! And hey, it sounds like Jody is learning how to enjoy your medium! lol! I bet he'll love watching his scarf coming into being. Enjoy the holidays!

Loraine said...

What a cute basket full of wool! Perfect Christmas gift, I'm sure they loved it.

beeinstitches said...

So glad the day went well and congrats on your rug finish. You were SOOOOOO close last I saw it! Uh-OH! Jody checking out the alpaca??? You'll have to tell him that there's probably some MORE at Hanks with his name on it!!! Maybe you'll get him down to Gainesville that way. ha-ha! Have a Merry Christmas!

Susan said...

Mel, those presents look wonderful. So glad you were able to get together with other hookers and knitters. I've decided that being with friends is what is going to be most important in this holiday season.

Jackie's Stitches said...

I'd love to see a picture of Jody and your yarn!

The wool gifts were wonderful. Even someone like me who doesn't know anything about wool can see how gorgeous it was!

I can't wait to see your rug finish!

Siobhán said...

Yeay on the finish, Melody!! I can't wait to see your pomegranate rug--I'm sure it is amazing. Loved that basket of wool! I'm glad you had a good time.

Michelle said...

I love the favors! How pretty all that wool is. And the photos Jackie took were wonderful. I really really really want to learn to hook, but I don't even know where to start. Maybe you have a suggestion? Know of any teachers/shops/classes in or around Dallas?

Michelle said...

P.S. - Can't wait to see your Pomegranate runner - I bet it's beautiful!!

woolwoman said...

Michelle - I looked for an email address for you but could not find one. please email me at mbryan10@comcast.net and I'll give you some info about rug hooking - there are tons of people in your area - TX is one of the most avid rug hooking areas in the country. I'm met tons of nice people from TX - Mel