Wednesday, May 18, 2011

ANNUAL RUG GUILD HOOK-IN

WOW - miracles never cease - 2nd post in less than a week.

This one is mostly just photos from the informal exhibit we held at our recent hook in.  The Northeast Florida Rug Hookers hold one hook in every year in May.  We had about 30 hookers there.  Most were guild members but we did have a group from the Ocala guild and the Citrus Belle guild and one friend even came from South Florida. 

I'm going to make this short and sweet - I am on my way to another rug hooking workshop in the Blue Ridge Mountains of NE GA right on the NC border.  Linda Bell is hosting Eric Sandberg at her studio The Hookery for a workshop and he is focusing on wide cut orientals.  YEP - I am starting another oriental - this one will be much smaller than the dreaded albatross I spoke about in a previous post.  I'll have another report from the workshop when I return next week.

So on with the show . . . . . .


This rug is a pictoral hooked by a guild member - Lynn did a great job using a lot of as is wool and it was so much fun to see her work on this rug and be there for the binding and throwing on the floor of a great finished rug.  CONGRATULATIONS Lynn for a beautiful finish.

This is not a very good picture of a beautiful 3 cut rug by Connie Charleson - Connie is a NE FL resident and has been a rug hooker and teacher for well over 50 years.  She is amazing at 88 still teaching - still dyeing - still hooking and still creating patterns.  She said this rug was hooked in 1964 and look at the color retention.

This sunflower is from Connies line of patterns - also hooked with a 3 cut - what a stunning backround.  It was hooked by a student of Connies but I won't say because I am not quite sure who laid it down.

I did not hear whose pictoral this was but it is so pretty.  I think maybe it was by one of the gals from the Ocala guild.

This very beautiful purse/tote was done by one of our guests from the Ocala guild.  What gorgeous colors - I love the crewel type elements in this design.

Sorry but I have no idea who did this lovely street scene.  It is out of focus and I apologize to the hooker.

DF Susan hooked this beautiful Angel Sampler rug - I'm not sure of the cut but I think she used 6,7 and 8 - it was worked at a rug camp in Texas and the design is by Bea Brock as well as the color plan.  I worked on this same design at the hook in but mine is a runner and not as big as this one and my color plan is completely different with a dark stormy night sky.  I will show mine to you soon.

This WIP is done entirely in  a 4 cut by another guest at the hook in.  Michelle does exquisite work and has won many prizes for her rugs at our local rug camp.  I think she said that she did all the dyeing for this rug herself.

Another 3/4 cut beauty - I'm not sure of this guests name but she attends every year and it is always a pleasure to see her beautiful creations.

Another Bea Brock canvas and color plan by a fellow guild member Nancy.  The colors are bold and dramatic and that olive green backround is just perfect.

I think this rug was also done by a guest from the Ocala rug guild.  It is in a 5/6 cut I believe I heard someone say.  Love the scallop border - very pretty in person.

Last but certainly not least - Here's ULYSSES !!!!!!  DF Karen started this darling guy at Ocean rug camp last year.  He makes me smile every time I see him - he is too cute for words.

That's all folks!!!!!!!!!!!!!

8 comments:

Margaret said...

Oh my! So gorgeous! My favorite has to be the angel rug -- whoa! That's my kinda rug. lol! Thanks for showing us all the beauties!

Laurie in Iowa said...

I love looking at all these beautiful rugs. The Angel rug is my favorite too.

Katrina said...

All the rugs are gorgeous but I especially love the angel one and Ulysses :-). Thanks for sharing!

Rugs and Pugs said...

Mel ~
Thanks so much for sharing. What wonderful rugs. I want to be just like Connie when I grow up. She sounds like an amazing woman.
Hugs :)
Lauren

Beehive Needleworks said...

Upon my word...what gorgeous rugs! Thank you for taking the time to share them...they are all an inspiration surely.

Wishing you joyful hours with friends, hook, and wool...

Warmly,
Judy

mdgtjulie said...

Wow, everyone's rugs look great. Can't wait to see yours! And glad you have fun, and hope you will have fun, at the hook ins.

Siobhán said...

WOW!!! Oh my gosh. They look like paintings! How amazing. I think my favorites are the angel rug and Ulysses but they are all equally stunning. I can't wait to see your take on the angel rug!

Susan said...

These rugs are all stunning! I'm a sucker for houses/street scenes so that one is my favorite. The workshop sounds like fun, but I think I would have a hard time getting anything done since I would be walking around oohing and aahing at everyone else's work!