Tuesday, February 24, 2015

FROSTY FEBRUARY

I know many of my blog friends are about SICK to death of winter conditions in their area.  Things have really not been that bad in my neck of the woods.  Oh we've had cold temps and people here have been moaning and groaning but I actually love winter and don't consider 30's and 40's bad at all.

It's been great knitting weather this winter.  Finished the Sockhead hat for my DH.  He wouldn't model it so I had to put it on the sofa pillow.  It was fun to do and I am doing a Wurm hat now for me.  It's a free pattern on Rav and they say it's unisex so I had to make a girly color so my DH wouldn't steal it from me.  He has already noticed it has a different band than his sockhead.  I think he should just learn to knit - don't you think so ???


There's also been some stitching going on.  I finished this Little House Needlework ornament on Feb 1st - Old Colonial.  Haven't started the Feb one because I was late getting it and while waiting I got another LHN piece I was just enchanted with --  Queen of Hearts.  It is not really a Valentines Day piece but it really did capture my heart - I am still working on it and enjoying every minute of it.  I'll show a progress photo next post or maybe even a finish photo !!!!
This next piece is a Laura J Perrin counted needlepoint piece that my EGA chapter is doing as a SAL to encourage non or novice needlepointers to take a plunge and try canvas work.  Of course I have done a lot of np over the years - I take spells of wanting to do canvaswork.  I have to say this piece is lots of fun and only uses 4 Rainbow Gallery fibers making it a fairly inexpensive and easy entry level piece for budding needlepointers.  I have to give a plug here for EGA - if you have a chapter in your area - you really should go and give them a try.  EGA (Embroiderers Guild of America) is all about education and supporting and promoting anything done with a needle.  Our chapter here in NE FL does little cost/no cost "taste of" workshops throughout the year to introduce our members to interesting types of needlework they may have never had the opportunity to try.  We also bring in a national teacher once a year and sometimes we have 2 teachers a year.  EGA needs the support of every person who has an interest in the needle arts - don't think it isn't for you if you only do cross stitch or you only stitch on aida.  EGA is for everyone and there is also the option to be a MAL (member at large) where you have access to correspondence courses and seminars but don't have a local chapter close enough.  Hey - if you wanted to join our chapter - we provide great support for our "away" members and we have 5 members in the great state of Georgia and 2 in the proud state of PA.
Think about joining EGA and keeping the art of needlework alive.

what a great lead in for a wonderful program we had in February for our duClay EGA chapter with a special friend of our group Lorraine Mootz from Celle Germany.  Lorraine has done many lectures and classes for our group over the years.  We are fortunate that Lorraine has family in NE FL and comes to visit our area.  Here is Lorraine pictured with a grouping of a few antique samplers from her personal collection.  We have permission from Lorraine to show these photos on our blog as they have appeared or will soon be appearing in SANQ magazine.  Lorraine has done the charting of several of them such as the tiny Vierlande she is holding.  It appeared an issue or two ago and is definitely on my "must do" list.  The huge black Vierlande was simply stunning and is very similar to the Permin "Celle" sampler that so many are familiar with.

It was a great day had by all who attended and it is always so special to spend time with Lorraine. Her depth of knowledge always amazes everyone in attendance and we never grow tired of hearing her speak about our favorite subject - samplers and their makers.

Thanks for stopping by and reading and commenting on my blog.  I appreciate each and every one of my readers.  Hope Spring will be "march"-ing into your area soon.

9 comments:

Margaret said...

Now why does your DH's sockhead hat look so interesting color-wise? It looks like it has a pattern in the colors instead of the usual pooling or striping effect. Anyway, it's nice -- love the color! Great stitching too! I've sometimes thought about joining an EGA. It's good to know I can always join your guild if nothing else. Love that tiny Vierlanden of Lorraine's -- so pretty!

Rugs and Pugs said...

LOVE Dh's sockhead hat. Looks so comfy.
Great info on the EGA. Not being much of a stitcher these days (years, actually), I had not heard of it. One more thing I don't have time for...sigh.
Hugs :)
Lauren

Jackie's Stitches said...

Love your DH's hat! I also really like the color you're using for the LJP Needlepoint project.

Samplings from Spring Creek said...

EGA is a great organization--need more time to participate with our chapter. Love the wool in your sock hat

Thanks again for helping me with my rug hooking challenge

llknbillburg said...

Great plug for EGA! Your knitting is lovely and I just adore that new LH series. I am hoping to get those in my rotation soon! Laura

The Inspired Stitcher said...

What a fun post and a wonderful event with Lorraine. I wish I could have been a mouse in your pocket for that one. Have a great day!

henri said...

Your needlepoint project looks great!!

Loraine said...

Hi Mel! It looks like you have some amazing projects to show us. I love the hat! The colors are perfect, and I'm happy you have had some chilly weather so you can wear it!
You cross stitch and needlepoint is really pretty too. I've never tried canvas work, but I love all the specialty stitches you can use in NP.
How fun to meet Lorraine. What a talent she is and how lucky you are to have her come to your guild.
Have a wonderful weekend and many hugs to you!

Karoline said...

Congratulations on finishing the hat and the LHN, they are both lovely. Your needlepoint project looks fun and your guild was very lucky to get Lorraine to speak.