Friday, December 21, 2018

MERRY MERRY

I'm LATE  I'm LATE said the white rabbit to Alice.

I guess Alice is on my mind because I have chosen an Alice in Wonderland rug canvas for my project for my 20th YES TWENTITH OFF THE OCEAN rug camp coming up next month in January.

For now let's focus on the fast approaching Christmas holiday.  Doesn't it just fly by friends.  All the music, merriment - over in a flash.  I am dragging and clawing every minute of every day to S L O W things down.  Isn't working ...............

I'm happy to show you a few things I finished up in December.  This was my duClay EGA Christmas exchange gift.  It is With Thy Needle Berry Days at Thistle Down Farm.  It is stitched on 36ct PTP Ancient linen with the called for threads.  Yes folks I did the finishing myself - I sanded the box - painted the box with a coat of buttermilk paint and then a strawberry colored paint, I sanded the box again according to instructions to make it look aged and then put a coat of wax on it.

 This was before I put the wool liner in the drawer.  This is a wooden box not a paper mache box.  I hope the recipient was happy.  I almost backed out at the last minute on giving it away.  It was really a lot of work but I thought it turned out wonderfully.
 Next up is another finish I did myself.  This is another small piece in the Hats Bats and Boots club with The Needlepointer.  They are great fun.  I have other ideas about a permanent use for this and the future club pieces I still have left to stitch.
 What about this adorable evil black squirrel.  Scary II is the design by Plum St Samplers.  Dear friend Devon over at Devon's Quiet Corner did the finishing for me .  WOW - what a super job Devon did on my finish.  It was stitched on the called for R&R Winter Brew with the threads from the kit.  The wool was from my rug hooking stash.
 Isn't it absolutely perfect !  take a hop over to Devon's blog and see all her amazing finishes. 
 Another club piece from The Needlepointer - These little hearts are so easy to do and I have 2 more in the series to stitch - they will become part of my future Alice in Wonderland vignette.  All my pieces or almost all my pieces live in my fantasy world where I have wonderful futures for them all.
I did the finishing myself - that black ribbon doesn't show very well but it's ruched ribbon all around the edge.  Mounted on a metal stand.
 Last finish for 2018 is another tree in the Fanciful Forest club also from The Needlepointer.  I deviated from their recommended background.  I just wanted something different and I love the background I found by Brenda Hart.  I am going to take a leap into trying to finish these trees, the forest is piling up on me and I have been gathering my courage with these small pieces I have been finishing.  I think I might be ready to fly
 
Well dear friends - I hope you all have been having a wonderful holiday season however you celebrate.  I wish you lots of time to spend however you wish thru the holiday season.  If I don't make it back here again - 2018 has been a year full of blessings, tragedies for many, losses and joys. 
Please leave me a comment - I do read them all - Merry Christmas to all and to all a good night

9 comments:

acorn hollow said...

you have been busy what wonderful pieces.
Merry Christmas
Cathy

henri said...

Really enjoyed this post and all the photos of your beautifully
finished pieces!!
Merry Christmas
henri

Marilyn said...

All great stitched pieces!
Marilyn

Margaret said...

What a bounty of beautiful finishes! I can definitely understand why you would have had a hard time giving that box finish away -- wow! Everything is wonderful -- the needlepointer series you're working on looks perfect. Simple and quick, just the right amount of work. I'm so looking forward to seeing your Alice rug start. So exciting!! I hope you have a wonderful Christmas, and a happy, healthy 2019! (You don't mean you are going to stop blogging, do you? Or do you mean not coming back for the rest of the year? I hope it's the latter!)

Susan said...

Such great finishes, Mel! I think I would have kept the box for myself��. Wishing you and your family a very merry Christmas and all the best in 2019.

Jackie's Stitches said...

I so loved your exchange piece! And the other projects you've featured. You're such an amazing finisher yourself and I can't wait to see what you do with your trees! Merry Christmas! xoxo

Robin in Virginia said...

Your box turned out great. Where did you find your wood box? What beautiful stitches you shared! Wishing you and your family a joyous holiday! Merry Christmas!

Samplings from Spring Creek said...

Beautiful finishes each and every one--you did a great job on the With Thy Needle and Thread Berry Days piece. Have been watching lots of Flosstube tutorials and am trying to be brave and finish some of my own pieces. Twenty years! That is awesome, I think the Mother/Daughter from The Old Tattered Flag are coming--their style tugs at my primitive heart.

Rugs and Pugs said...

Beautiful finishes!!! I hope the recipient of the box at you EGA exchange loved it. It is absolutely gorgeous. You get an atta girl for the one 😊😊😊
Merry, merry Christmas.
Hugs,
Lauren