Monday, March 23, 2020

MARCH MADNESS

Hello blog friends - I truly do hope this finds you all well and hunkered down at home with family doing your preferred needlework and staying healthy and sane at the same time.

March madness of a nasty kind has come down upon us.  There is not a person on the planet I don't think who is unaffected by this virus - some lives will never be the same and many will lose their lives.  I certainly hope March madness is not followed by April Anxiety but at this point it seems that we can expect something of that sort.

I have not had time to do any more needlework than usual.  I am still coming into the office every day.  I work in a beautiful historic home with the owners of our company and 2 other associates who are not family.  one is part time so my exposure to lots of people on a daily basis is limited thank goodness.  However I do have to keep going grocery shopping and my DH and I went out to a small local bakery on Saturday.  We have been picking up some to-go food here and there thinking we are helping to keep these favorite places going in hard times but I'm not sure how safe it is to eat food being prepared in other kitchens by unseen people.  I guess you can only hope and pray the management is making sure their associates are well if they are coming in to work.

I did have a big finish last month - February shot by me and I didn't get a blog post made.  Here is my Rodeo Drive poncho.  Been in the making for a couple of years but of course I put things away for weeks and months and then decide to work on them again.  My DH took these photos and yes I was in my nightgown but it fits well and I even got to wear it once at the beginning of march it was a very cool day when our EGA chapter met.
 This shot is more true of the color I think it's called Polar Morn- taken in a different room under an OTT light. It's is a grayish blue color. The yarn is Malabrigo Dos Tierras for those knitters who might like to know.  When I bought it in the fall of 2018 it was brand new on the market.  It is a lovely 50/50 alpaca/wool blend and I would definitely use it again.
 still working my Joji Suburban, it's growing. I had a terrible time coming up with another color to add in - the brownish one is what I came up with - it is a better compliment than it looks from this photo as it has some tinges of the dark salmon color so it does pull it in.  I think once I keep adding the brownish in other areas of the shawl it will work.  It better work !  this shawl has been a lot to keep track of pattern wise.  The lace panel to start was hateful and I almost gave up 2 or 3 times.
I'm still stitching as much as my eyes will allow.  Always tons of stuff I want to stitch.
I didn't go crazy on market purchases, a couple of big samplers and a couple of spring pieces from With Thy Needle and a new christmas monthly.
 
Lots of people are using this down time to get WIP's out and finished.  All I seem to want to do is start new things.  I guess that is just part of the affliction of wanting control in my life.  Wanting to feel like I still have a choice.
 
I hope you all pray to the same God I pray to and that you are praying often for God to wipe this disease from our earth.  I wish you great peace and many healthy days to come.  Please read Psalm 91- many are praying this Psalm every day but speak to God in your own words - he hears us.  love hearing from you and what you are doing to keep busy during this difficult time.  Blessings to you and yours, God willing I'll be back in April and things will be better for us all.

7 comments:

Robin in Virginia said...

Congratulations on your shawl/poncho finish! It looks so pretty. The yarn is a gorgeous color. Your in progress shawl is looking good.

Stay well and healthy! We are trying to support the local small eateries by getting food to go. Taking solace in my stitching and reading!

Thinking of you!

Jackie's Stitches said...

Love your poncho Mel! It sounds very soft and I love the color.

Like you, I feel like starting new stuff. I might do that tomorrow...

Rugs and Pugs said...

Love that shawl finish. How many shawls do you have? It seems you are always finishing one.
I have not gone back to the one WIP that needs to be finished. It is a 2019 Christmas gift...lol. I have started a hooked runner and have a couple small things I want to start, too.
Be safe and stay healthy in these scary, scary times.

acorn hollow said...

what a lovely poncho! that other shall looks like a lot of work but both are more than I could ever accomplish.
I pray every night before bed to release all that has been on my mind all day.
cathy

Samplings from Spring Creek said...

When I think of March madness, I think about the basketball version--whew, this version is one I want to end and one I do not want a repeat performance! Your finish is lovely! I bought tons of things from market and am enjoying each and every one of them.

Pattie davidson said...

Melody so glad that you are all so good from this virus. I have being making masks for all of the people that have none. Miss seeing all of you!

Margaret said...

I love your poncho finish -- so pretty! And the Joji shawl is looking great too! Do take care of yourselves during all this.