Thursday, October 31, 2013

HAPPY HALLOWEEN

I hope all my blog friends are having a great Halloween doing whatever it is that makes you happy.

Today I thought I'd treat myself to a Starbucks and Happy Halloween to me - the Christmas favorites are already out so I had a Crème Brulee Frappuccino - SO BAD and SOOOOO good !

Here is a shot of my Harvest Moon shawl - for the knitters - it is in Lornas Laces Shepherds Worsted in the Louisville colorway.  It is for the Loopy Ewe online shop's 4th Quarter Challenge.  I have done more - finished the lacy border you see here and advanced to the body shaping.  I am enjoying this one and what a great fall color to be working on in October.
A couple of weeks ago - we had a wonderful week in Gatlinburg - one of our favorite places to be.  It was a belated first anniversary trip for us.  We hunted for our wedding chapel to have a photo made 1 year later but dang - we couldn't find the little back road where the chapel was located.  Anyway - here is my DH standing in front of  a fall display.  It was funny to us but every business and lots of homes had these types of displays all thru GA, NC and Tenn.  We don't see them our NE FL - oh maybe a few fall things go out but not these scarecrow things with the mums galore and the pumpkins and hay bales - It was so "fall" and I loved it.

Unfortunately it was not that cool there - the fall leaves were just starting to turn and we went in the midst of the government shut down so the Smoky Mountain National Park was closed.  It took us 3 hours to do 30 miles because of dead stop traffic from picketers and traffic problems and no park rangers to resolve them.  Nevertheless - what a beautiful fall photo taken on the north side of the park not too far from Gatlinburg.  Yes it opened up the day before we left.

 Here is Jody taking photos on our way home.  I believe this was on the NC side of the parkway.
Look what wondered by our condo balcony - we were just up the hill from the main drag in downtown Gatlinburg.  I was sitting on the balcony stitching and almost fell out of the chair trying to get my ipad open and snap a few photos of this poor bear.  It looked gaunt to me or maybe it was just a teenager.  As you can see - he was meandering along by the pool area - our car is parked about 50 ft away from where he is walking.  Needless to say - after that - we always hurried from our car to the condo.
 
 
In my blog header is Miss Merrie Halloween - one of my most favorite hooked rug finishes.  Miss Merrie was designed by Lori Brechlin of Notforgotten Farm.  Miss Merrie and I wish you the spookiest of Halloweens, don't eat too much chocolate !

10 comments:

Margaret said...

Love that Merrie Halloween rug! It's so wonderful! Love your knitting too. So pretty! Too bad about the timing of your trip. Such a bummer! Beautiful scenery though! Hope you're having a good Halloween!

Susan said...

Mel, looks like you had great scenery even with the government shutdown. Love the color of the wool you are knitting. I treated myself to a pumpkin spice latte at Starbucks today. It was my first of the season and something I don't do often even though I order the nonfat version. Too many other Halloween treats around our house!

Rugs and Pugs said...

Mel ~
So good to hear from you.
Miss Merrie is WONDERFUL!!!
Happy Halloween.
Pug hugs :)
Lauren

Jackie's Stitches said...

I can't believe you saw a bear in your condo parking lot! I've wanted to see one but always concerned we'd see one in the wrong place - like on a trail.

Merrie looks great as your blog header. Happy 1 year anniversary to you both!

krayolakris said...

Happy Halloween, Happy Anniversary!

Heritage Hall said...

Wish you could have seen TN yesterday...leaves in blazing, myriad colors...today a heavy storm
with high winds, downing all the
lovely color to the ground.
Just love your beautiful shawl...
Gentility

Beehive Needleworks said...

Ooooh,such a lovely, lacy shawl-to-be! And the Halloween-y rug is magnificent! I bit of inspiration to this novice hooker surely.
Despite your travel difficulties, the view of nature was breathtaking!
Wishing you much joy ...
xox

Cari said...

I love your Merrie Halloween rug and your knitting too! You do such beautiful work. I'm also a huge fan of Starbucks !! It's always a treat to get a fun holiday drink. Glad you got to see a bear. They are magnificent animals aren't they? Hugs dear friend. Enjoy your week of fiber !!

henri said...

Happy Anniversary and enjoyed seeing some
fall color!!!

Karoline said...

Happy Anniversary!

Your shawl is looking gorgeous & glad you had a good break